Designing The BEST Aquatic Exercise Programs (Springs, South Africa 2020)
October 17-18, 2020 (1.5 day course)
Location: Springs (near Johannesburg)
By popular demand, an extra half day of additional material has been added to this course!!
If you want to learn a wide variety of highly effective exercises plus their indications and precautions for common ailments, then this is the class for you!
The focus will be on:
- Back Pain
- Neurological Conditions
- Sport and Extremity Injuries
- Relaxation and Stress Reduction
- the key elements of program design
- when to choose stretching vs. strengthening vs. stabilisation vs. aerobics vs. functional skill training vs. relaxation
- how to address the specific needs of various client populations
- common exercise and alignment mistakes, and how to correct them
- when and how to use different types of exercise equipment
- the benefits and limitations of different types of aquatic exercise equipment
- how to modify exercises for each unique individual in a class
- how to meet the complex needs of different diagnoses in the same exercise group
Join us and HAVE FUN learning how to keep your clients returning to class!!
This course is open to anyone who teaches aquatic exercise to individuals or to groups.
Course Instructor: Peggy Schoedinger
If you have not yet had the pleasure of taking one of her courses, you may like to read about Peggy.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the benefits and the precautions for therapeutic exercise groups for various client populations.
- Describe the benefits of therapeutic groups vs. one-to-one exercise sessions.
- Understand when clients need stretching vs. strengthening vs. stabilisation vs. aerobics vs. functional skill training vs. relaxation
- Demonstrate an understanding of the benefits/limitations of different types of equipment, and choose the appropriate equipment for each person during each exercise.
- Understand how to modify exercises to address the specific needs of different client populations in the same group class.
8:00 Key Elements In Exercise Programs
Physiological Effects of Immersion
9:00 Pool Lab:
Postural Alignment and How To Improve It
Benefits/Limitations of Different Types of Exercise Equipment
Common Mistakes In Shallow Water and How To Correct Them
Shallow Water Techniques Including:
Proximal Stability & Extremity Strengthening
Balance and Coordination
Functional Skill Training
1:30 Clinical Decision Making:
Stretching vs. Strengthening vs. Stabilisation vs. Relaxation vs. Functional Skill Training
2:30 Pool Lab:
Ai Chi andRelaxation Movements
Common Mistakes In Deep Water and How To Correct Them
Benefits/Limitations of Shallow and Deep Water Exercises
Deep Water Techniques
8:00 Pool Lab:
Final Discussion and Details Regarding choice of: Stretching vs. Strengthening vs. Stabilisation vs. Relaxation vs. Functional Skill Training
Adapting and Modifying Exercises for Different Diagnoses in Same Class
Designing Exercise Classes for Various Client Diagnoses
What To Bring To Your BEST Aquatic Exercise Course
- Swimming Costumes (2 or more recommended)
- Robe recommended for tea times
- Water Bottle
- Your own food for lunch and snacks. Tea and coffee will be provided
- Aquatic Ankle Weights, if you have them
- A mask and snorkel set, if you have one
- Kickboard, if you can bring one or two. Larger size is better.
- Pen and paper
- A printed copy of the course handout from the PDF file emailed to you before the course, or bring an electronic copy on your tablet or laptop
- If you have any special aquatic exercise equipment you purchased in SA, please bring it along to show to the group.